Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Random observations from our trip

  • It is possible to buy a good bottle of Shiraz for $1.99. I did so in Coff's Harbor. Actually I bought 6 for $11.99. I wish I'd bought more. We're big fans of clean skin wines. Our current favorite is a Shiraz-Viognier that Dan Murphys sell for $6.50 a bottle in a case.
  • Nimbin is one of the armpits of the world. I'm not particularly opposed to inhaling but this place made me think again - there are a lot of seriously wasted people here.
  • North NSW is spectacular - well worth visiting. We'll definitely go back.
  • Southern QLD on the beach has been Californicated. We'll have to route around it next time if we want to go further north.
  • You just can't eat too many fish tacos when close to the ocean. Reading this it's ambiguous so let me say it plainly - eat all the tacos you can when close to the sea!
  • It is possible to survive 12 days without checking your email.
Judi and I had an excellent time on our vacation. Caravaning is ideal for those who like a comfortable bed but also eating outside and seeing the sun rise. It's also cheap - only $20 per night typically for a powered camp site. Also you get to meet interesting people and critters. Our caravan needs a few more comforts - maybe we'll take the coffee machine next time. But we didn't miss the TV although I was shocked to hear that England had finally won something in cricket - the one day international series.

The dogs had fun, I think, though I believe that I managed to exhaust Sammy by all the walking I did. In the end he sort of refused to go with me on a walk, which was a first.

I hope we can go again soon.

Tim

No comments: