Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Doggies - A labor of love

Oh my, the dogs. Besides the trauma of moving the dogs (flying, crating, quarantining, etc.), there is an incredible expense involved. Six months prior to a move to OZ, you must have them tested for Rabies exposure (even though they have been vaccinated yearly), micro-chipped (between the shoulders) and retested 30 days prior to the move. Then there is the minimum 30 day quarantine.

Cost:
  • Micro-chipping and required tests 6 mos. prior: $900
  • Application to allow import to Oz: approximately $200/animal
  • Retest prior to move: Guestimate: $400
  • Crates and flight ABQ to OZ: A lot. Haven't received estimates yet, but I'm still preparing myself for the sticker shock. Seems like the new company ought to pick up this tab - to move family members that is.
  • The good news? It's tax deductible.
See photos of cute and much loved doggies below:



This is Karma. No great depth of thought here, Karma lives to herd. Unfortunately, poor 15 year old Mica (who happens to be all white and hence, sheeplike) receives the brunt of Karma's energy.

This little black guy is Sammy. Sammy is part human - no question about it. He's very difficult to take a decent photo of because the only part of him that shows up is usually his little pink tongue. I found him by the ditch at about 8 wks old because someone didn't want him anymore. What a fool. This is Sammy with a summer haircut.



The last photo is of Mica, my doggie soulmate. I've had her for most of her 15 years - since I found her at the Animal Humane Society in Albuquerque. She's been a great and true friend for all these years. I truly hope she makes it to Australia to frolic in the ocean at least once. I know she will love it!


No comments: