Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I'm ready to go NOW

I have to say that I'm excited at the prospect of being in another country. I've enjoyed being here in the States for the last twenty four years. Coming here was one of the best choices I've made in my life. It opened up life in so many ways, ways that weren't apparent to me when I lived in England.

When I was first here in New Mexico, everything was strange and new. It was like being woken up to be able to see the world clearly. That feeling hasn't actually gone away too much. I'm still amazed to be here in the brilliant sunshine of the Southwest when I could be in the gray winters of Manchester. However, some things have become old and a change is welcomed.

Australia is a beautiful place. Here's a photo from space that I particularly like:



(This came from the great NASA site Blue Marble)

Zooming in on the Southeast:



On our trip, we stayed in the green areas - those were beautiful and I want to go back. I also want to go to the barren parts without any green. I should get a chance at work. We're building a "New Technology Demonstrator" (NTD) for the Square Kilometre Array. The xNTD will probably be sited somewhere out in Western Australia, perhaps at Mileura:




Mileura is in the neighborhood of some of the oldest geology around - follow the link, it has some interesting material on the Cool Early Earth model for the state of the Earth 4.4 billion years ago.

So, anyway, I'm ready to go :)

Tim

No comments: