Saturday, January 1, 2005

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

I have been negligent in my blogging recently as I am still trying to recover from the “sister onslaught.”

We have [guarded] good news. Last week, our rental house (circa 1951) in Albuquerque went on the market. Despite dire predictions from our realtor who wanted us to list the house at a lower price, on the first day, we received three offers! The offer we accepted, was actually over the list price. Unfortunately, the fat lady has not sung yet, and we still must endure inspections and negotiations over repairs. The bottom line is, “it ain’t a done deal until the fat lady sings.” (And if I don’t go on a diet soon, that fat lady is going to be me!)

Last night, after watching the news and the horrific results of the killer tsunami, I wrote a simple poem to express how I feel. One journalist reported that the death toll could actually rise to 400,000.

One is too many

400,000 people dead
only in my mind
Too many the world could not exist
if so many died.

What is 400,000? Numbers only; surely not
drowning souls in an ocean too greedy.
How does a mind expand to comprehend
a tragedy so broad?

400,000 people walking on water
only to survive
and not to mimic
One who was not there.
--- Posted by Judi

No comments: