Thursday, May 3, 2007

In Search of a Better Rat Trap....

In search of a better rat trap…

Have we discussed my rat problems? More so, have we discussed my rattrap problems?

Feeding birds on a balcony tends to attract rodents – where there is seed, there are rodents. I’m not exactly a mouse fan, but I have to say the rats are really really getting to me. I’m not talking about the cute little hippety hoppity bush rats – nope, these are your common, not so very cute rat rat.

I started out with such high ideals. My first rat elimination technique was going to be the catch ‘em and let ‘em go kind of trap. I even found a man who makes the devices and only lives a few burbs over. They were cheap. My mind was swayed after talking to various people about rat problems. My neighbor, who is a really, sweet and gentle guy, would just as soon destroy them all and if they suffer, all the better. Ian is not a rat fan. Besides, what do you do with them after you catch them? Take them to the bush down the street so they can journey to and frequent someone else’s house? Is that fair?

Most people I spoke with use rat poison. They say that ended their rat problem. But I just can’t do that! First, it makes them suffer – they dehydrate and die or seeking water, they drown. And then what about the poor schmuck who then eats the poisoned rat? It just goes on. It offends my environmental sensitivities.

So, I go to the store and buy your basic (plastic or wood, wire or coil….) mouse and rattraps. I convince myself this is the most upstanding solution. We had immediate success – two rats in as many days. We were on a roll. Except, rats are not stupid. In fact, I think rats are pretty darn smart. Even when I set the trap directly in front of their little cartoon-like entrance – they must jump over it or something…. To be continued…

Cheers, Judi

No comments: