Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Rattrap of the Future

Rats, cont…

I discovered that rattraps are poorly made. It doesn’t matter if they are wood or plastic. – some part will break right away. Some traps last for “the one big kill” and that’s it. Others decompose if left outdoors for a night or two. Like I said, “in search of a better rattrap.”

Then, as I cruised the web (as I am wont to do), I came across “The Rat Zapper.” What a great idea! The rat walks into the blue container in search of the treats you’ve placed in it, steps on a metal plate, and kaboom. The device is humane and hygienic. I only wish it had worked.



First of all, the Rat Zapper sells for $29 in the US. Australia customs won’t allow you to import one, because it is used to maim or destroy an animal. Well, yuh! So, I bought a Rat Zapper from an Australian distributor. $125 (AUD) later, plus the $20 special AA batteries it requires, I was on my way to rat-free-dom. So I thought.

I’ll skip a bit through the process and jump to the results: two mice and a whole bunch of electrocuted slugs. An electrocuted slug in a Rat Zapper is a little like have your KY Jelly explode in your dresser drawer. ‘Nuff said.

My Rat Zapper is back with the distributor who is testing it. I will try to remain optimistic. My friends now think I'm crazier than I really am!

Next: A trap, a mouse, and a bucket of water.

Cheers, Judi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that little picture. And yuck, rats! That is a benefit of living with cats: no rats or mice. But, we also don't really have birdies either. pros/cons I guess.