Friday, June 8, 2007

Rain Rain Go Away and...

...go rain someplace that really needs it. If I sound morose, it's because it has rained for two days straight. I know I shouldn't complain, but it isn't just dark and cloudy. Water is actually falling from the sky and has for some time now. It always seems to catch my laundry on line (har har). I guess the clothes will just get extra rainshower fresh.

The leeches, familiar creatures to Tim on his walks after rain, are stretching their little bodies up trying to grasp onto the next warm-blooded body strolling nearby. They really are disgusting little creatures - they can crawl right through your sock -- just stretch their bodies long and skinny... Yuck. Tim wanted to throw away a good pair of socks because he had several in this configuration. I guess that's enough leech information. Although they say they use them in heart surgeries due to their anticoagulant properties. Visions of Alien I, II, ....

Speaking of creatures, but of a much more charming nature, are our possums visitors. I made a real breakthrough with one little guy who allowed me to feed him some bread - actually holding it for him while he munched away on it. You can't see in the photo below, but one eye is blind (I think), because it has a white disc covering the pupil. This possum usually has to combat a mum and her adolescent for the food, but he's smart enough to be showing up earlier and earlier in the evening. (BTW, the bread was whole grain and homemade, but they also like paw paws, apples, bananas, etc.) (photo will be added when site allows)

The colours now in Sydney are Autumn - bold reds, yellows and oranges. It's quite beautiful. However, since the weather is so mild, you will also see roses and other brightly coloured flowers. Despite the leaches, it's actually a nice time to walk this time of year -- warm enough to be comfortable and chilly enough not to get overheated. The dogs are a lot more active as well.

Tim went on a walk with two friends last weekend. I didn't go, because it was at least 10K with some difficult vertical bits. Let's be honest, I am not in that good shape. The walk was part of the Great North Walk and it spans between Cowan, NSW and Brooklyn, NSW.



The area is the Hawkesbury, a beautiful winding river that cuts in from the ocean less than an hour's drive north of Sydney. I thought you might enjoy seeing a couple of photos that Tim took on his outing.





















I have two pairs of wet and bedraggled Lorikeets huddled together on the balcony. At least the roof gives them some shelter. Actually, that's why I built my little aviary in the first place - they always look so miserable in the rain.

Cheers! Judi

No comments: