Monday, May 2, 2005

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Where do I start? We have a new house, I have a new car and I am picking up my beloved doggies on Wednesday. I have to admit I am most excited about seeing the dogs. I keep picturing those sad little faces behind bars and my heart breaks. I hope they remember me and more so, that they aren’t mad at me. They have not had any exercise for one month, so I need to scope out an area near the quarantine station where they can run and play like crazy!

Timing has worked out incredibly well for us. We not only found a house to buy, but the owners are allowing us to move in right away for rent and prior to closing. We are moving into the house the day before the dogs get “out of jail”, so they will be able to stay with us. In addition, our belongings should be arriving and delivered by the end of May – so no second moves are necessary. (Those movers are going to love the three flights of stairs to reach the main floor! Tim and I will just get in shape.) I also found the car I wanted right before our move which will help since we won’t be able to share anymore due to the distance to Tim’s work.

My new car is a 2001 silver Toyota Echo Three Door Hatchback.



It might remind you of those cars all the clowns fit into at the circus. It is very cute, but with plenty of room for me, the dogs and some groceries (or whatever). Best of all, it practically runs on air – so petrol costs should remain nominal. I wanted red or blue or some more exciting color, but this car has only 25K Kilometers on it (15,500K miles) – so it was too good a deal to turn down.

Tim mentioned our shopping spree this past weekend. Besides his “dream coffeemaker”, we had to replace many of the appliances that we sold before we left Socorro. That means items like toasters, vacuum cleaners, blenders and basic furniture to hold us over until our stuff arrives on the ship. I finally gave in on Tim’s big screen TV – you only turn 50 once in your life! Besides, how can you effectively watch soccer on anything smaller? Impossible! :)

Today I am going back to the Ikea store and buy a sofa bed for us to sleep on until our own bed arrives. The sofa bed will make a great addition to one of our guest rooms. I’m also going to buy a couple of comfy chairs and other items, so that staying in our new house won’t feel so much like a camping trip.

Remaining is the fencing contractor to erect a barrier to “maintain” the dogs, car insurance, paying the house deposit and other inescapable tasks. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

I am excited about our new house – it’s totally opposite from the house we sold in Socorro. I am concerned about funnel web spiders biting my dogs – particularly Sammy, the digger. I will probably have some restricted areas that are particularly high risk.

Thanks to all of you who are reading our blog. It is nice to be able to keep the important people in our lives up to date on the details of our great adventure. Be sure we get to hear from you as well!

--Judi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I keep picturing those sad little faces behind bars and my heart breaks. I hope they remember me and more so, that they aren’t mad at me. They have not had any exercise for one month, so I need to scope out an area near the quarantine station where they can run and play like crazy!

Awww...I'm sure they'll be just as happy to see you too. :-)

My new car is a 2001 silver Toyota Echo Three Door Hatchback.

Nice!

Best of all, it practically runs on air – so petrol costs should remain nominal.

Small cars are good for city driving. Plus, if you happen to live near public transport, you can probably get away with not having to drive much at all -- I lived in Sydney for quite awhile without a car.

I am concerned about funnel web spiders biting my dogs – particularly Sammy, the digger. I will probably have some restricted areas that are particularly high risk.

That's definitely a concern. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone -- perhaps ask the people at the quarantine place? -- who can advise you on how to protect your dogs from the nasties in the wildlife here.

Good luck in your new place!

Anonymous said...

Cute car Judi-san. Very sporty. I can only imagine the glee when the doggies saw you.