Saturday, January 28, 2006

Kayaking with an Artist



Tim and I went kayaking this morning with Ernie Gerzabek. We met at a windy Narrabeen Lake, but chose a nice little creek to paddle down. Since Ernie wasn't going to bring his kayak (he hasn't used it for 3 years), I brought the dogs along thinking I would have some spare time to look after them. Well, Ernie brought his kayak (one of those sleek, tippy models), so the dogs had to keep up by running along the shoreline. This worked out well for every one, except perhaps the poor hapless ducks who were just minding their own business.... until this little black water rat, named Sammy, dog-paddled his way.... well, let me just say that his stamina is incredible. Two kayakers were paddling by whilst Sammy was pursuing his prey and to be friendly, I called out, "This dog is a very optimistic hunter!" (re: catching a duck); and one kayaker yelled back to me, "Thanks mate, I thought that was just the ugliest duck I ever saw!"

After kayaking, Tim and I went to Ernie's house and visited with he and his wife, Ruth. These are great people - interesting, well educated, can't understand how the US population could re-elect Bush... etc. Their home is like an art museum. Ernie is an architect by training, but "retired" to pursue his art. I've put a link to the side of the blog, but here is the same link, Some Favorite Art. Ernie's art is unique and he uses the most incredible colors. You will see that he has been in the process of really being "discovered" for several years now, but his incredible work is still affordable - original art! A friend of mine in Arizona has been collecting his work for some time, I contacted Ernie while we were still in the US, and I am enamored of his paintings. By the way, Ernie is also a refugee of Hungary.... and, well.... read his site or wait until the movie comes out!

A nice way to spend a day.

Cheers, Judi

No comments: