Sunday, January 29, 2006

New Mexico bites back

So Judi and I are kayaking at Apple Tree Bay late on Friday afternoon. Here's a Google Earth picture:



The hot sun and sand on the skin makes me wish for a fish taco. I mention this to Judi and we stop after only an hour or so - she's hungry too! So where can you get a fish taco in Sydney? Our mobile phones don't help or at least we don't know how to use them to find out - we're googlers. So after trawling through Turramurra on the way back, we decide that a fish curry would do as well. There are three options in Turramurra - we choose the wrong one, I think. Both of us are sick the next day, me especially (by the way one of the Mexican restaurants in Sydney is called Montezuma, which really isn't a good name). Anyway, today, Sunday, we did the research and found a place in Cafe La Soul in Bateau Bay that has an excellent sounding fish taco on the menu. It's about an hour's drive and we're neither one of us up to the drive. So it's off to Woolworth's for the makings - Old El Paso's Taco Shells, some freshwater basa (catfish), green stuff, etc. Turned out pretty good, even if I say so myself. So it can be done. I also bought some refried beans with green chile for the inevitable craving for a burrito. It's best to be prepared.

The source for my craving was a happy memory of the fish tacos at El Sombrero in Socorro. All the New Mexican food there is excellent but I really like the fish tacos. Next time you're passing by, try it out.

Tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So did you ever get to try the food at Cafe La Soul? I looked at their menu, but...hmmm I think I would only be disappointed if I ate Mexican food there. To be honest I have yet to find decent Mex here. Asian & Indian are great, Mexican is..not. But if you find a good place, do let us know!